Field Hockey Canada is seeking a number of volunteer Coaches for the Men’s Masters National Indoor Teams. Competitions will also include other international matches and some domestic training and games. Possible Age Group Categories: Indoor: 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60+
Final number of coaching positions is contingent upon the number of teams.
Field Hockey Canada (FHC) is the national sport governing body responsible for the development, growth and promotion of field hockey in Canada. Among its responsibilities and in collaboration with the FHC International Masters Committee and Age Group Coordinators, FHC helps select, prepare and promote Canada’s teams towards the goal of high-level performances in the men’s Masters World Cup competitions.
Field Hockey Canada’s Masters program is self-funded by athletes selected for World Cup and other international teams. The coaches’ cost of international airfare and accommodation at the event will be covered from player contributions. The successful applicants will be expected to select, develop and coach teams in the lead up to the following WMH Indoor 2022 World Cups:
• Indoor – Virginia Beach USA Feb 15 -20, 2022 – (040 – 060)
The coaching positions will begin in the second half of 2021 (conditional upon the COVID-19 restrictions being lifted).
Coach Responsibilities for Indoor World Cup include:
- Oversight of a systematic, progressive training program for athletes (including mindset / tactical awareness, skill development and fitness assessment metrics) in conjunction with Jenn Beagan, True Sport Manager, other Masters Coaches and the Masters National Teams Group Coordinators.
- Team building, selection, preparation and attendance at scheduled training camp, practices, events and tournaments. Indoor Talent ID Camps: dates and locations for these need to be finalized, but expectations include some or all of the following: late Sept to November 2021. Indoor Tournaments: January/February 2022. One coach may be asked to travel for a training event to provide coaching support/player Talent ID selections.
- Coaching at the WMH World Cup Indoor Tournament.
Experience and Qualifications:
The ideal candidates will have preferred experience in high performance coaching, and possess strong consultative, facilitation and decision-making skills. The ideal candidate attributes and qualifications include working towards:
- Completing Safe Sport Modules (Making Ethical Decisions, Making Headway, & CAC SafeSport);
- Appropriate coach education and certification – NCCP Competition Development in Training (working towards the NCCP Competition Development certification; For more information see:
- Proving strong leadership abilities and experience working with older athletes;
- Knowledge of Long Term Athlete Development;
- Demonstrated critical thinking related to fitness program planning and evaluation – work with FHC Integrated Service Team Lead to create an age-appropriate program;
- A strong understanding of high-performance sport;
Other combinations of training and experience may also be considered.Terms and Conditions
Although this position is a volunteer role, the coach’s travel to the World Cup and accommodation will be covered by the player subscription. Additionally, coaches will be paid an honorarium for all practices, events and tournaments attended.The successful candidates will be required to provide a criminal reference check and complete safe sport training.If you believe you possess the appropriate experience and skill set, or have any additional questions, please submit your resume and covering letter to Jenn Beagan, True Sport Manager, Field Hockey Canada, email@example.com
Deadline for applications:
Indoor: August 3rd 2021
Please include your name and title of the role in the email subject line. Field Hockey Canada is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.